I wanted to write about some interesting things you can make out of old things. I knew of some great ways they reuse old items, but I wanted to find out what else they can make out of old things.
1. Sweater Totes: Everyone has old sweaters that either get holey, or worn out. This would be a great way to make something that would otherwise get thrown away, into something usable again.
2. Cork Trivet and Cork Board: I really liked the idea of making a bulletin board out of cork. I think that this has a unique look, and is definitely something people will ask about. I am collecting corks from old wine bottles, however we mostly get boxed wine, so this may take a while.
3. Tennis Shoes: This is an interesting video on how Nike reuses all of the components of old tennis shoes for different athletic surfaces. I know in Fargo, there are collection sites for old shoes for this purpose.
4. Flip Flops: This is an amazing article on how the beaches of Africa are cleaned up; large amounts of flip flops are turned into beautiful art by local artisans. What a great way to kill two birds with one stone; as the article says.
5. Plastic Bags: I see that many people make reusable bags out of plastic bags. This website gives you patterns to making beautiful bags out of something that may take a lot of time and energy to recycle.
I know there are also many other interesting ways companies take in old products/clothing and make them into other usable things. Please leave us a comment if you have any interesting ways to reuse common items.