Do you want to make a change in your life that makes a difference? This is a new year and you can make simple changes to help the environment. How do you start? What are the simple things you can do to help?
1. Recycle. Recycling reduces the amount of garbage that goes into the landfill. This has a snowball effect. Less in the landfill means less methane in the atmosphere. This means less of an impact on global warming. Of course this is just one aspect of going green, but it is one of the most basic.
2. Buy CFL’s. This is such an easy thing to do. I don’t want to waste the regular incandescent bulbs, so I will wait until they burn out then replace them with the CFL. These use a fraction of the electricity with a lower wattage.
3. Turn off the lights. This doesn’t require you spending any money, just requires you to make the choice to shut off the switch after leaving a room.
4. Plan your trips. If you have errands to do, plan them in the most gas efficient way so you don’t have to drive out of the way.
5. Plan your meals. Planning your meals before you go to the grocery store will reduce the amount of food you end up throwing away because it goes bad. Also keep track of what you have left so it doesn’t rot before the week ends. Again, this leads to less garbage that goes into the landfill.
6. Turn down the thermostat a couple of degrees when it’s cold, and up when it’s hot. Also make sure the air conditioner is maintained. Also check that the heater filter is replaced once a month. Use fans when it’s too warm; they use less electricity than the air conditioner.
7. Buy in bulk. This puts less packaging in the landfill. Any way we can divert garbage from ending in the landfill is a great change to make.
8. Buy from local farmers/farmers markets. This helps the local economy, and also the produce has to travel less distance to get to you. Plus it’s fresher.
9. Plant a tree. Trees reduces the amount of carbon that ends up in the atmosphere.
10. Buy recycled products. This completes the cycle. Creating demand for recycled products will make more companies realize that they should make products from renewable materials. Thus closing the loop.
BONUS: One last one idea. Bring your canvas bags instead of taking home plastic bags. Plastic bags are one time use items that take energy to create/recycle. If you bring your canvas bags you can save these plastic bags ending up in the landfill and harming wildlife.
What changes will you make this year to improve the condition of the planet? These changes are just a beginning of what you can do. Being green requires some thought and some time. But in the end you are making the world a better place. What new change are you making this year? Please comment below. Thank you very much for visiting!